CHRISTOPHE CANATO in conversation with SEAN TOBIN Artistic Director M1 Singapore Fringe Festival


In the lead up to Christophe Canato's exhibition RICOCHET in M1 Singapore Fringe Festival, in less than two weeks time, I managed to have a little online chat with Christophe about his work.

SEAN: There is such an intimacy to the works in Ricochet that keep me pondering about your relationships with the subjects in the photos. Would you like to share about any of them with us? The children? The animals?

CHRISTOPHE: As a migrant, born in France and living in Australia for the past 10 years, my emotions are certainly surfing between two cultures.
In this context, the isolation process due to relocation bring back memories and identities. Since then, my work in general has been quite intimate. However, with Ricochet my interest is to explore everyone's intimacies and memories. In these five boys portraits, one of them is more likely close to who I was.

SEAN: How would you describe your relationship with animals? Do you keep any animals? Do you have a favourite? Or any zoophobia?

CHRISTOPHE: That’s an interesting and vast question. I will try to keep it simple. My only religion is mother earth based upon respect for life in any kind.
My favorite will be to observe, learn from and appreciate each species included those that terrify me.

SEAN: I know that you have been taking photos for a long time, both in the fashion world and in the art world, bouncing between Paris and Perth. That’s an interesting life. What tends to keep you going artistically? What inspires and nurtures your voice and your craft as an artist?

CHRISTOPHE: I haven’t work with the fashion sector for quite a while now and there is something beneficial to take distance with this industry. It is exhilarating to be able to devote yourself to your passion. It makes me feel alive.

SEAN: As an artist and fashion photographer, do you have any strongly held views about the state of the fashion world and the art world that you would like to share?

CHRISTOPHE: Often some people ask me about my technical skills in photography rather than the concept or the message itself included in my art.
Recently, about my work in progress Andy is Dandling, this person was asking me 'how do you make your models pose this way?'. I guess this comes from the fashion where the body is the structure of the garment and you handle it at your leisure while preserving the emotions.

SEAN: I suppose by now you have managed to look at the rest of the Singapore Fringe programme. Are there any artists or works that stand out to you, that you are hoping to catch while you are here?

CHRISTOPHE:I have to be honest with you I didn’t have time to go through the all program yet. I was working on the 30 pages catalogue and tried to manage printing, framing, freighting before to visit you. I am very much looking forward to my 5 days in Singapore to enjoy relax and discover talents. I will throw my heart for any platform which will includes contemporary dance, I am a big fan of it. 

SEAN: So I guess M1 Singapore Fringe is your first gig for 2016. Any other exciting plans for 2016 that you can share with us? Plans to bring the work elsewhere? New works in the pipeline?

CHRISTOPHE: There is few projects but I will keep it quiet for now if you don’t mind. One thing for sure, my brain is boiling and it will be liberating back to my studio working on this series I mentioned previously. This time I am interested to express my feeling about male gender identities in our western countries. Let’s talk about that in front of a cup of tea.


SEAN: I look forward to the cups of tea Christophe, to introducing you to some of the other artists and works in the fringe, and we could have lots of long talks about male gender identities. Sounds like something that could fit in very well with Art & Skin, for 2017. 
émoticône smile

Comments